Bell, Henderson make history for Southwest Florida women’s basketball

Bell, Henderson make history for Southwest Florida women's basketball

Monday’s WNBA Draft was, without a doubt, a night to remember for both Kierstan Bell and Destanni Henderson.

“It’s been crazy but a good crazy,” said Henderson.

First, Bell, who rewrote the record books in her two seasons at FGCU, was taken 11th overall in the first round by the Las Vegas Aces becoming the second Eagles’ basketball player ever to be drafted and the first getting taken in the first round.

“I’m grateful to have this opportunity and I’m going to take this with me and hold it with me in my back pocket and get to work,” said Bell.

Now, the two-time Becky Hammon Mid Major Player of the Year heads to Vegas to be coached by none other than Becky Hammon herself.

“That’s so crazy. I didn’t expect it but it’s an honor to be under a coach like that,” Bell said.

Meanwhile, Henderson, the three-time state champ at Fort Myers High, was selected nine picks later by the Indiana Fever.

Coming from a hometown synonymous with football players, Henderson becomes the first women’s basketball player from Southwest Florida to be drafted to the WNBA.

“I love where I come from and to put on a statement like that, it just means a lot. It shows how hard I worked,” said Henderson.

And for Henderson she might be the first drafted out of Southwest Florida but believes she won’t be the last.

“I just want to pave the way for younger players. It doesn’t end with me. They can do it too,” she said.

See similar https://nbc-2.com/news/sports/2022/04/13/bell-henderson-make-history-for-southwest-florida-womens-basketball/

The post Bell, Henderson make history for Southwest Florida women’s basketball first appeared on Daily Florida Press.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Committee week in Florida’s Capitol: Welcome to the festival of ignorance

Democratic governors press U.S. Senate to act on voting rights legislation

U.S. House GOP would make it easier for feds to give public lands away to states